Today I turned 23 years old and here, in no particular order, are 23 things I learned while I was 22:
- God’s timing is perfect. I still don’t believe that on an emotional level but I have come to trust Him enough to know it’s true.
- Gatorade can heal almost anything.
- You have to be patient with your heart. Just because you get on Bumble and try out that whole dating app thing doesn’t mean your heart will be in it. Go ahead and delete the app. You’ll get there someday.
- People heal and grow at their own pace, some faster, some slower, and that’s okay.
- I am doing better than I thought I was.
- I have more work to do on myself than I realized.
- Laziness feels gross. Being lazy gives you the emotional equivalent of going too long without a shower or without brushing your teeth. Bleah.
- You may never be able to get rid of all the anxiety in your life but you can learn how to manage it and be stronger than it.
- There are no free snacks on Spirit flights.
- There is no shame in going to counseling, even if you think you’re ‘not that bad’. It is empowering to take steps towards being a better you.
- You can have a crush on someone and not actually like them at all. I think I’ve learned this one before but I guess I needed to be reminded.
- Anxiety makes you feel sick sometimes. Tough it out. Eat some food. Listen to Fear by Ben Rector. Distract yourself. You are more real than your anxiety and you are capable of being kind to yourself in spite of it.
- I am, in fact, a Taylor Swift fan. (Sorry, Mom.)
- I am lactose intolerant. Goodbye, yogurt. I will miss you.
- You must proof-read your book. Mercilessly.
- It’s okay if there are some typos in your book. Yes, some people might judge you for it, but some people won’t even notice, you can always fix it, and it’s a learning experience.
- Pray. Every single day. I’ve learned this one before, too, and that’s okay.
- God is merciful.
- I do actually like my hair long. My hair may never be fully low-maintenance and that’s okay.
- Saute the onions first.
- If your headlight is burnt out and you don’t change it, you will eventually be pulled over.
- Sometimes all it takes is putting yourself out there. Be brave. Make the first move when you need to. It is worth it.
- It is good that I am here.
So grateful for my life, to BE alive, and looking forward to another wonderful year. Thank you, Jesus.
Thank you for reading, God bless,