Obviously, throughout the month of November, I all but forgot this blog even existed. I’m not proud of that. True, I was doing NaNoWriMo which kept me preoccupied and had a lot of family events over Thanksgiving.
No excuses. I want to commit to keeping this blog alive and well. I woke up this morning with the idea to try doing Blogmas and I figured no better way to kickstart a good new habit than to have a monthlong sprint of blog posting.
A few things I’ll be posting about this month:
- Lookback at NaNoWriMo
- Update on Being Daniel (no, I haven’t forgotten about it!)
- Reviews of some albums/movies/books.
- Sneak peaks at things I’ll be writing in the future.
Today I wanted to start this Blogmas off right with a brief list of things I’m grateful for right now.
- 2017! I’m very grateful for how this whole year has played out. It has been a year of incredible growth and progress for me and I think that’s worth saying a little ‘thank you’ for. 2014-2016 particularly were hard years of growth through a lot of pain, so it feels good to finally win just a little.
- Good You Were Here. Publishing that book in May was something I never expected to do. A year ago the idea wasn’t even in my head. It has been such a blessing to me and opened doors I never dreamed I’d be walking through.
- My friends. I have recently grown closer to a few people and met some new people and that has been such an answer to prayer.
- My family, some of whom I am lucky enough to call friends, too.
- My counselor. Going to counseling has honestly been the biggest factor in how much growing I did this year. Having someone who is in my corner, helping me take steps forward in my life is something I never knew I needed.
- My laptop and phone. In a world where everyone scorns technology and says it’s ruining us millennials, I, for one, am certain my life has improved with these tools. With my laptop I’ve connected to people I couldn’t have otherwise. I have created so much — everything from fun photo edits just for me all the way to a full published book. With my phone I’ve become more self-aware and organized. I’ve been able travel and say yes to more because I have a portable, reliable GPS that can guide me exactly where I need to go.
- Almond milk chai lattes.
Even though November is over and Thanksgiving has come and gone, I encourage all of you to take stock of things you have to be grateful for, too.
So there you have it. Day 1 of Blogmas: check!
If you have any suggestions for posts, please share! I have a list of ideas but I’d love to hear what you might like to read! I look forward to this learning experience and hope you enjoy coming along for the ride.